The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999)
About the film . . .
- Milla plays the title character, Joan of Arc
- Plot summary: The film follows Joan's short but incredible life - her rise from peasanthood to hero as she led the French Army against the invading British in early 15th century France. Joan was made a Saint 500 years later in 1920.
- Complete script
- Official Italian page from Columbia Tristar
- Official Japanese page from Sony
- See ericserra.com for the video for My Heart Calling featuring Noa
- Japanese press conference: #1 (.mov, 50 MB)
- St Joan of Arc Center (film reviews)
- Some Don't Quite Get The "Messenger" (by Cindy Pearlman, Distributed by Big Picture News, Inc)
You can kill "The Messenger." Just don't burn her. That was the message that Los Angeles test audiences gave director Luc Besson after a screening of his historical epic The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc. "It's hard to believe, but some audience members in L.A. asked me why Joan had to burn at the end. They said they would prefer a happier ending," Besson marvels. But the airheads weren't done yet. In one scene, Milla Jovovich as Joan tells English invaders: "Go home to your island!" Some viewers wrote, "What island was she talking about?" "I told them, um, it's England," sighs Besson.
- The Joan of Arc publicity path saw Milla appear on HBO's First Look: The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc on October 27, The Late Show with David Letterman (November 3), The History Channel's Hollywood vs. History: The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (November 9 & 10), Today (November 10), Regis & Kathie Lee (November 11), E! News Weekend (November 13), Roger Ebert & the Movies review of The Messenger (November 14), Later Today (November 15), The Entertainers (November 19), and MTV's Fashionably Loud & Hot Zone
[ For complete credits, check out the Internet Movie Database listing for Joan of Arc ]
Directed by Luc Besson
Writing credits: Andrew Birkin, Luc Besson
Music by Eric Serra
Milla Jovovich .... Joan of Arc
John Malkovich .... King Charles VII
Faye Dunaway .... Yolande D'Aragon
Dustin Hoffman .... The Conscience
Plot summary: The film follows Joan's short but incredible life - her rise from peasanthood to hero as she led the French Army against the invading British in early 15th century France.
Release date: November 12, 1999 (US)
Screen caps (more at MillaFan.com)
From the set:
From The Making of The Messenger:
DVD & Posters:
Stills from teaser - Luc Besson did not direct & Milla is not in it
|The Messenger (1999)